CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Tuesday, April 1, 2008

The battle has begun...

Today, at 11:56 am, Sofia declared war on all naps. She has been very inconsistent with her nap time for the last month and as I began to read Healthy Sleep Habits, Healthy Child, I realized that I have an exhausted child on my hands. She is constantly being stimulated and for her age, she isn't getting enough sleep. I figured that if she was sleeping 12 hours at night, that was plenty but I was waaayyy off. According to this pediatrician, babies her age need 1-2 naps per day. Well, I haven't read through the whole book so I can't say whether or not he is a quack or not but since the book was recommended to me by an experienced mother of 2, I would say it's legit.

When Sofia woke up this morning, she was clearly still tired. She was pulling at her ear (her notorious sign for sleepiness) and yawning the whole morning so after we went to the grocery store, I drove around to try to get her to sleep because I knew this would be a struggle but to no avail, she was awake when we got home. I took her to her room and rocked her while we listened to her lullabies and she was out. And by out, I mean, snoring, drooling, etc. The second I stood up to put her in her crib, she started to cry and hasn't stopped since. It is now 12:34pm and she is going strong with the crying so I will let her cry it out for another 22 minutes and if she doesn't fall asleep by then, we will just try again tomorrow.

I'm not sure how I feel about the Ferber method. It's so hard sitting here, trying to ignore the screaming baby I have in the other room but there's no other way for me to get her to sleep otherwise. My motherly instinct is telling me to run in there and rescue her but I know by doing that, I will be sending mixed signals because we haven't achieved the goal I set out for her: a NAP!

If anyone has any advice or suggestions on how to get my tired baby to sleep, let me know. Until then, I will keep posting about my Sofia's naptime battle.

On another note, I have to share this:

Sunday, Syd was at the gym and I had to take a shower which meant that Sofia would be bored, sitting outside my shower door, wondering what I was doing in there and why I wasn't outside, playing with her. I decided to give Sofia a snack and set her rocking chair in front of the tv to watch Sesame Street. I always assumed she was too young for television plus, I didn't want to get into the habit of just shoving a tv in front of her face to keep her entertained. So, I go to take my shower and Sofia just stayed in the living room, enjoying her snack and learning about the number 9. My little girl is growing up!


Hey mama, don't worry about me, I'm a big girl now!



5 comments:

Lauren, Brantly, and baby said...

The only thing I know about the Ferber method is what I learned on "Meet the Fockers" when they "Ferber-ized" the baby. LOL, you can tell I'm not a mommy yet!

I love the pics. That one of Sofia infront of the TV, is that yalls house? I LOVE the furniture!!!!!

the tichenor family said...

Okay, I am still not there on being able to let Carson cry it out. I tried it for a nap once and it lasted about 3 minutes. I will pray for you, seriously, that's all I can offer you!

Ummm, she's so cute in that chair with her little snack bowl.

I love you sweet mama.

Lauren, Brantly, and baby said...

The race is April 11 at 7:00 PM to April 12, 2008 at 7:00 AM at Oyster Creek Park. I won't stay the WHOLE night though. Go to my page and check it out. Make a donation or just come to the race to hang out. I've never been to the actual walk so it should be fun. I got a luminary for my mom and BJ's aunt that died of breast cancer. I wonder if I'll find them...


http://main.acsevents.org/site/TR/RelayForLife/RelayForLifeHighPlainsDivision?px=5715319&pg=personal&fr_id=5782&s_tafId=101174

Ilse said...

Ask Sofia if I can bourrow her chair, it's so cute,I love the pics with her snacks.
jammie jammie jammie......ask Sydmill the meaning of that, he,ll smile

Jacci said...

This could be long...

We started letting Scarlett cry it out at about 7 months after she was waking up like 4 times a night. I just couldn't take it anymore. It took two nights, she cried an hour both nights, and by the third night she slept, and finally started waking up happy. She's been an amazing sleeper ever since, at least at night. She had an ear infection last week and got spoiled big time, so the past two nights have kind of been a refresher course for her... I let her cry for an hour last night, but it seemed to work because she slept well until morning and went down for a nap today perfectly and slept for 2 hours! All this to say, I'm a firm believer in the Ferber method because it worked so well for us. But I told Mer to do it with Carson and it didn't go so well. :( Poor thing. Every baby is different,if you're going to do it, my advice is you have to just DO IT, and be tough. I hate hearing her cry but the trade-off, a good napper, sleeper, and happy baby all day long is WELL worth it to me. I mean, Scarlett doesn't seem to hold it against me as far as I know. haha. I hope you guys figure out what works for you!

The pic of Sofia in the rocking chair is soooo adorable!