CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Wednesday, March 12, 2008

March of Dimes

Monday I had the opportunity to attend the March of Dimes Neiman Marcus Fashion Show. It was an amazing event which benefited a great cause and Monday's luncheon raised an incredible amount of money all going towards research and education of mothers to ensure that all babies are healthy babies.









While I was pregnant with Sofia, I was told by the doctors that Sofia might have complications at birth because she was so small in weight. There were days on end when I would research possible side effects of having a low birth weight child, what was causing her to have such a low weight, the list went on and on. My original doctor here in Texas told me that if I went to Holland to have Sofia, I would be doing what I wanted, not what was best for the baby and I was selfish for ever thinking otherwise. He told me I had a placental malfunction. I went for ultrasounds every 2 weeks, was on bed rest for the last 2 months and went to every other day to monitor Sofia's heart for the last month of my pregnany. Turns out, my original doctor miscalculated my due date by 2 weeks and that is why she was premature.





During those days, one of my favorite websites was marchofdimes.com. I found it to be a great help when I was looking for answers and I am glad that there is an organization like March of Dimes for pregnant women and new mothers. AND, being the mother of a premature child, I am even more appreciative of the work March of Dimes does. I can remember those long 2 weeks Sofia sat in the NICU, it was very difficult for both Syd and I and we were there 7 times a day, exhausting ourselves. I am grateful to have a beautiful, happy, healthy 16 month old and am happy I got to participate in an event with such a worthy cause.

2 comments:

the tichenor family said...

darling dress!

so happy you have a healthy baby-- no greater blessing.

Tricia Keierleber said...

Praise the Lord! I didn't know all this, but I am so glad she is doing so well! I will keep you posted on the adoption... :)